As RSS and Atom become more prevalent as a way to publish and share information, it becomes increasingly important that location is described in an interoperable manner so that applications can request, aggregate, share and map geographically tagged feeds. GeoRSS was designed as a lightweight, community driven way to extend existing feeds with geographic information.
- GeoRSS-Simple is meant as a very lightweight format that developers and users can quickly and easily add to their existing feeds with little effort. It supports basic geometries (point, line, box, polygon) and covers the typical use cases when encoding locations.
- GeoRSS GML is a formal GML Application Profile, and supports a greater range of features, notably coordinate reference systems other than WGS-84 latitude/longitude.
Both formats are designed for use with Atom 1.0, RSS 2.0 and RSS 1.0, although it can be used just as easily in non-RSS XML encodings.
- GeoRSS Mailing List
- Tools - servers, clients, libraries, examples
- GeoRSS Blog
- GeoRSS on delicious
- Mapping GeoRSS on Facebook
- Land Surveying GeoRSS on Land Surveyors United
- Carpool Rideshare GeoRSS on Woodala Rideshare GeoRSS been used
Other Community Formats